Wednesday, April 04, 2007

When stamps can be useful, not speculative

Like Eric, I received late March's New Year's presents of Phil@poste, the part of the French post that produce and sell stamps. I am less enthusiastic then him.

The engraving reproducing Mozart enfant of Jean-Baptiste Greuze is for me flat and insipid, photocopied... Where is the engraver's hand ? The two annual engravings offered to its members by the Art du timbre gravé association are stronger.

Then, the Happy New Year special mini-sheet... Again an another pre-personalised mini-sheet that must be the event of the month... and that will nourrish the speculation (aDominique's article on the Blog philatélie). An advice to the French post : let human's hands engraved and let the philatelists personalized themselves this kind of sheet by selling them with white seals se-tenant.

What will I do with this two presents ? Certainly, archived them. Perhaps use them as a card and postage stamps. Yes, because stamp is to send mail. But, philatelic speculation seems to be à la mode in France.

Whereas this proposition I did (and that lasts till 21st april), I am suspicious of the stamps like pre-personalized mini-sheet or Harry Potter issued last March in France. But, if some know how to use them... :

I found this cover thank to a school (collège is a junior high school). It is franked with four "Harry Potter" : 4 times 0,54 € = 2,16 €. The content weighted between 100 and 250 grams (2,11 € is the exact cost). It contained a little book of poetry, that was written by students during a competition. This competition was organized by the Poésie en liberté association in junior and high schools of the département of Seine-Saint-Denis. One book was sent to each principal of the département to make them know of the existence of the competition.

Concerning my previous topic : a litterary for youngs association promove its activities by using litterary topic stamps, during the week of these stamps' issue. BRAVO !

Note : I know I won't be earning lots of money with this cover but it pleased me very very much more than the Poste's presents.

No comments: